RAHKONEN'S WRITING RULES
1. Compose on the level of the paragraph.
a. Each paragraph should have a topic sentence.
b. Each subsequent sentence should relate to the topic sentence.
c. Keep the same verb tense throughout the paragraph.
d. Avoid one-sentence paragraphs.
2. Use standard word order in sentences:
(subject-> verb-> object).
a. Avoid passive voice. "The ball was hit by the boy." = "The boy hit the ball."
3. Use standard plain English.
a. avoid jargon.
b. avoid colloquialism.
4. Don't overstate your position.
a. Don't present conjecture as fact.
5. Don't write a blow-by-blow account.
6. Write at the level of your subject and at the level
of your audience.
Please read the official disclaimer.
Page created and maintained by Carl Rahkonen. (c) 1987-2000 Last modified 2/10/00
Comments and/or suggestions may be e-mailed to: firstname.lastname@example.org.